About Domestic Violence
We strive to increase public awareness and community involvement for the safety of children and families.
Although most domestic violence is perpetrated by men against women, it can be:
- Used by women against male partner
- Used by same sex partners against each other
How do you know if your relationship is domestically abusive? Domestically violent behaviors are used together as a “system” in violent relationships.
- Abusive behaviors depend upon and reinforce each other.
The domestic violence system of behaviors builds barriers to a victim’s escape.
The System of Domestic Violence and Abuse
Do you know what domestic abuse is? Many victims of domestic abuse deny that they have experienced abuse because they have never been hospitalized for injuries or filed a police report against their abuser. Domestic abuse is a system of behaviors that cause injury, guilt, shame and emotional pain.
Each behavior depends upon and reinforces other behaviors. If you are experiencing any of these incidents, speak with someone.
You can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week at 1-800-799-7233.
- Hitting, choking or burning
- Using threatening gestures, looks or behavior
- Abusing pets
- Displaying weapons
- Sexual abuse
- Name Calling
- Demeaning or degrading
- Using words to instill fear and shame
- Making light of abuse
- Denying that abuse ever happened
- Shifting responsibility for abuse
- Saying that the victim caused the abuse
- “Mind Games”
- Humiliating in front of others
- Make victim break law
- Make victim drop charges
- Threaten to leave
- Threaten to commit suicide, hurt others
- Control what victim does, who they see or what they say
- Using Jealousy to justify actions
- Limiting outside contact, including phone and e-mail
- Limiting access to support systems –family and friends
- Always claiming to be “right”
- Giving commands
- Using gender, religion or culture to impose authority
- Controlling all decisions regarding money
- Interfering with work or education choices
- Creating total economic dependency